Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Vipassana Meditation Retreat


Photo from here
Reading Claudia's blog a few days ago I read a post where she mentioned Vipassana meditation. I had never heard of it before and I was curious to learn more so I Googled it. Visiting the official Vipassana Meditation website I read that this is a technique that was taught in India 2500 years ago which aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and the resultant highest happiness of full liberation. It is a way of self-transformation through self-observation, it is taught in 10-day retreats in centers all over the world and it is completely free, even food and lodging. Old students donate so you and me can have access to the technique.


There is a Code of Discipline which includes not speaking for all days except for the last one, not even touching or having eye contact with other people. You can only speak to the teacher or administration and only if it is really needed. You have no contact with the outside world, no cell phones, laptops, iPods, iPhones, books, notebooks, nothing. And basically what you do is meditate, eat and sleep. There is no time for anything else than that to be honest.

Ok, I was intrigued. The technique is really simple and all the information I read on the website got me hooked. Sounds like hardcore meditation retreat and I am prepared that it will be hard but I strongly believe it will be an overall great experience and a great starting point to build a daily meditation routine. So, I visited the local website and applied. The website mentions that they might need 2-3 weeks to reply, however I got a reply within less than 24 hours. Call it coincidence or luck, I believe it is a sign! I was accepted in the next available retreat in February and I was given instructions on how to reach the retreat center and what I should have with me. I have already planned to take these days off from work sacrificing my forthcoming Christmas vacations but I am sure it will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know your opinion, please leave a comment!